Thursday, January 2, 2014

Crying for the silliest reasons....

Sometimes, I have to laugh at myself for crying at the silliest things....

Listening to the BatBoy news story on the car radio.  Tears?  Check.

Listening to the overseas-soldier messages integrated into "I'll be Home for Christmas" on the car radio.  Tears?  Check.

Singing along to to "I'll Stand by You" on the car radio.  Tears?  Check.  (I think I need to quit listening to the radio when I'm driving....)

Watching the Cheerios holiday commercials.  Tears?  Check.

Watching any commercial with babies in it.  Tears?  Check. Check. Check.  (Yes.  My hormones are outta control.)

Cheesy, happy, sweet endings on cheesy, happy, sweet holiday movies.  Tears.  Check.

Anyways, my point is: I cry.  A lot.  I also laugh until I cry.  (I rarely full out bawl, though, so at least I have that going for me.)  There are a lot of times when I just feel ridiculous for getting teared up.  I'm like, hey, pull yourself together, Woman!  We don't need to cry at every. single. little. thing.  (And yes, I do talk to myself in plural personal pronouns.  I live alone, OK?!  OK.)

Sometimes, sometimes, I have pretty good reasons for crying--like when I was watching the final handful of "Lost" epis.  No, seriously... when one of my favorite dogs at the shelter is euthanized (fortunately a rare occasion).  Or worse yet, we lose one our own animals--I'm a royal mess then.  Levi passed away in July 2011 and Jake in July 2012, and when I see their photos, think about them, or have dreams with them, you bet I still get teary eyed, if I don't have a mini-breakdown....

You might imagine, then, my reaction when I opened this gift, so thoughtfully given to me by my oldest cousin's wife:




It's a hand-stamped sterling silver necklace by Crow Steals Fire.  On the outer ring are all our current dogs, and on the inner ring are Levi and Jake.  Upon reading their names on it and realizing what this gift was, I was done for.  I mean, put "Levi" and "Jake" on anything to conjure up all the memories, good and bad, and you can pretty much guarantee I won't be able to just flat line on the emotional roller coaster I ride.  Plus, it reminded me of the gifter's result loss of her own dog, Bella.

There were tears.  Then I tried to laugh it out, which resulted in more tears.  As my cousin[in-law] hugged me, I apologizing for being "over-emotional," before ducking out of the room to wipe my tears before they destroyed my makeup.  I'm sure everyone thought I was escaping to go bawl in the kitchen!  (Okay, maybe I did let a sob/laugh out.  I mean, I can't keep it in all the time, clearly.)

Summary: sweetest gift ever.  I don't think I've ever cried about anything my parents have gotten me!  They get me amazing gifts, too, but this one went straight to the heart.

If you're reading this, thank you so much for the necklace!  I love it.

Lastly, I just had to share this photo of Champ hanging out last night with my dad on one of the "forbidden" leather sofas....


I hope you all had a great New Year's Eve & Day and will continue to have a happy and healthy 2014!

4 comments:

  1. That is just the nicest thing. Having just lost Pip I have been trying to find something to keep close to my heart. That has inspired us. Thank you and tears are good it means we feel. Have a tremendous Thursday.
    best wishes Molly

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so sweet! I would love to get something like that once I get on a few dogs. Happy New Year!

    Dina Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chelsea, I am so happy you love the necklace! I knew I was taking a little risk since it is very personal so I am thrilled you love it as much as you do. After losing Bella, I put pictures on the wall, hung and framed paw prints, and made a similar necklace for myself. I wear mine every day as a reminder of her and the incredible bond we shared. Our dogs truly are with us forever.

    ReplyDelete